Thursday, May 7, 2009

Box Office Review - Star Trek


I have never been a major fan of Star Trek. Of course I enjoy Wrath of Khan, and like everyone (except one person...you know who you are) have watched the original 60s series from time to time. In my opinion JJ Abrams could do anything he wanted with the Star Trek mythology, as long as he creates a good movie out of it. Does he do this? The answer is a massive yes. I did not notice anything that I disliked about the film, except for one thing. It needed more Simon Pegg. Obviously this is nothing that effects my overall enjoyment of the film. The movie had a great balance of action and story. I found that when the characters were talking it was great and when they were fighting, also great. The decision to focus on both James T Kirk, and Spock as the leads was brilliant. Chris Pine (Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock) were very strong casting choices, and I am not just going to single them out as there are many great actors in this. Eric Bana plays the nemesis and embodies the character so well that at times he was unrecognisable. As I alluded to before, Simon Pegg stole every scene that he was in as the character Scotty. He has been in both of JJ Abram’s feature films, and I hope that he will become somewhat of a fixture in Abram’s work. Anton Yelchin plays the Russian officer Pavel Chekov, and provides a lot of comic relief. He is going to end up having a very good year career wise, as he is also in Terminator: Salvation. To save time, I will just say that Bruce Greenwood, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Karl Urban, and Leonard Nimoy are also great. Now on to the story. I felt that it was complicated enough to be intriguing, but not so complicated that I would have to spend the entire movie just figuring out the logic behind it. It moves along with a good pace, never once feeling heavy handed. In order to preserve the mystery (enjoy the mystery), I will not go into detail about the plot. The cinematography is great, with many wide shots that are breathtaking. The cg compliments the film very well, and the space battles and planets look great. The score by Michael Giacchino is awesome, and the use of the Beastie Boy’s Sabotage made me very happy. The film has every aspect covered, making it easy to just soak everything in and be taken along for the ride. Smart, funny, and gorgeous to look at, I was smiling the whole movie, and look forward to watching it again.


A Golden Banana




No comments:

Post a Comment