Monday, February 9, 2009

Banana A Day - Samurai Assassin


This Kihachi Okamoto film released in 1965 and starring Toshiro Mifune is weaker than the other films I have seen of Okamoto's. I considered him to be one of the greatest directors of all time, but when this is stacked up against Sword of Doom, and Zatoichi meets Yojimbo it doesn't compare. The story is very slow and there seems to be much more talking then the average samurai film which have a lot of talking to begin with. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but with its run time of two hours I found some parts difficult to pay attention to. The last scene is very good and the story comes together nicely, I just do not consider it as watchable as his other work. The DVD quality was not the best and the black and white seemed muddy at times. I hope that it is the DVD and not the way that it was filmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment