Thursday, March 19, 2009

Banana A Day - Spaceballs

Of the Mel Brook's films I have seen, Spaceballs is the hardest for me to enjoy. Of course all of Brook's movie are silly and meant for enjoyment, but this one seemed way over the top. After this film he went on to direct Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and Dracula: Dead and Loving It (I haven't watched either of these in their entirety), so I see this film as his decline. This being said, there are some funny jokes and the film does work a lot better in its second half then it does in the first. This may just be because I got more use to the jokes. The best running gag of the film is all of the mass marketing products that are featured, Spaceballs toilet paper in particular. Anytime that the mega merchandising of Star Wars is made fun of, I can get into that. The film provided a few laughs, but it will get no where near the amount of play time in my DVD player as Young Frankenstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment