Friday, March 20, 2009

Box Office Review - Duplicity



I have painted the inside of houses. Usually I use the same colors every time. Occasionally the colors are different. Once I am finished and I look at the wall, no matter what color it is, it’s still just a wall. Realizing that statement doesn’t really make sense, I must say that I was thinking about painting walls while watching this movie. That is how dull the movie was. It felt like it went on forever. I found that I didn’t care about the characters at all. The actors in it were good. I’m a fan of Clive Owen. I don’t dislike Julia Roberts, but I have never been a big fan. Paul Giamtti and Tom Wilkinson have supporting roles, but the characters did nothing for me. Corporate espionage is an interesting subject, but here it just didn’t work. One thing, well two things good can be said about Duplicity. First, the cinematography by Robert Elswitt (who has worked on all of Paul Thomas Anderson’s films) is great. There are a couple of wide shots that are breathtaking. The second is the ending. I didn’t really like it, but at least it took this type of film in a different direction. After saying these good things, I might as well bring up my least favourite part of the film. The person who decided to use multi-frame compositions (ala 24) as scene transitions made a very bad mistake. It is used in the movie as a way to differentiate flashback scenes from the present, and it looks terrible. Some may not feel this way, but I felt it was amateurish especially coming from Tony Gilroy. To conclude, a boring story, and dull characters make for a difficult watch.


A Banana Peel


No comments:

Post a Comment