Monday, March 30, 2009

Box Office Review - 12 Rounds

While 12 Rounds isn’t horrible, it doesn’t have any originality or pizzazz. I want to give this film its due, because it does deserve some credit. I found John Cena to be likeable and it seems like he really wants to make a go at acting, and to be honest I hope that it works out for him. That being said I am not going to be watching The Marine anytime soon. The main reason I went to see this was because of Renny Harlin. He is a director who has had a rather poor career in the past few years and he just can’t seem to get a break. This guy directed Cliffhanger and that is one of my all-time favourite action movies, so I will always have a soft spot in my heart for him (I own a copy of The Cleaner). There are some good action scenes in this movie, and setting the film in New Orleans was a good choice. As for the story it is very poor. It has a similar structure to that of Die Hard with a Vengeance, in that the bad guy makes the good guy go on a perilous scavenger hunt as an act of revenge for the death of a loved one. The story got particularly bad in the last twenty minutes, and I would say that is what killed the movie. If you are a fan of Cena or Harlin then you could do a lot worse. If you don’t care about these people, then I recommend you stay far away.

A Banana Peel

No comments:

Post a Comment