Friday, April 3, 2009

Box Office Review - Adventureland

The general impression that people got from the trailer of Adventureland, is that it is a comedy in the vein of Superbad. Seeing as the trailer blatantly states that this is directed by Superbad director Greg Mottola, that is expected. Those who walked out of the showing I was at after forty five minutes would probably disagree. This film is serious and there is not a laugh a minute, but this works in creating a brilliant movie. None of the heavy stuff was forced, and when I was laughing, I was laughing hard. I have doubts that the majority of the teen audience will appreciate the serious scenes, but I hope that they do, because this movie is great. Kristen Stewart and Jesse Eisenberg have solid chemistry, and the both give great performances as usually. The supporting cast, especially Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader left me wishing they had more scenes. I have some minor qualms with the movie, mainly with editing, but I know that after multiple viewings those will go away, so I am not going to go into detail. This was a brave movie for Mottola to direct after the success of Superbad, because of how heavy the film gets, but it was a good risk and I hope he directs many more films (I am particularly looking forward to Paul with Nick Frost and Simon Pegg).

A Golden Banana


No comments:

Post a Comment